I am Assistant Professor of Demography at the University of Florence. My academic research focuses on: gender, fertility intentions, historical demography, work and education, sexuality and homicides.
I collaborate with the EU-FER project.
I teach Historical Demography and Demography & Tourism at the University of Florence.
- Research Fellow in Sociology at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy
- Post doc at the University of Bamberg, Germany
- Associate researcher at the Dondena Dondena Centre for Research on Social Dynamics and Public Policy (Bocconi University of Milan, Italy)
- PhD in Sociology and Social Research from the University of Trento
Main news & updates:
- It’s time for mobility research to focus on women, Population Europe
- Minello A., Dalla Zuanna G. (2019) A gender geography of intentional homicide within and outside of the family: Male and female murders in Europe, the US and Canada (2003–15), European Journal of Criminology, https://doi.org/10.1177/1477370819884251
- Minello A., Dalla Zuanna G. (2019) Morire in Italia: omicidi di donne, omicidi in famiglia, Popolazione e storia.
- N. Kulic, A. Minello, S. Zella (2019) Manage your money, be satisfied? Money management practices and financial satisfaction of couples through the lens of gender, Journal of family issues, doi: 10.1177/0192513X19891463
- Participation at the European Conference of Historical Demography, Pécs, Hungary. Article: Nomina nuda tenemus The growing number of given names as a clue of the beginning of the demographic transition by Alessandra Minello, Gianpiero Dalla-Zuanna, Guido Alfani
- New book chapter: Studienfachwahl MINT durch Frauen – Einfluss von Leistung in Mathematik, Lebenszielen und familialem Hintergrund [Women studying STEM: the influence of the performances in mathematics, life goals and family background]. With Uunk W., L. Beier, A. Minello, P. Blossfeld inMINT oder Care? Eckpunkte einer gendersensiblen Berufsorientierung. Weinheim & Basel: Beltz/Juventa, 2019, ISBN: ISBN:978-3-7799-3940-5
- Presenting “Wife or businesswoman? The role of gender segregation in defining women’s entry into union in Italy” at Popdays 2019 in Milan.
- New article: Minello A., Tocchioni V. (2018) Tra lavoro e famiglia: analisi della relazione tra tempo dedicato al lavoro e prima unione in Italia, Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica, LXXII(4): 18-29.
- New job as Assistant Professor in Demography at the University of Florence. EU-FER project.
- Discussing the article “Immigrant women’s employment patterns. Disentangling the effects of ethnic origin, religious affiliation and religiosity”, by Guetto R. and Fellini I., at the seminar “Religion and social integration in Europe”. Milan, November 13, 2018.Organization: First SELFY (Sexual and Emotional LiFe of Youths) workshop, Florence, September, 17th and 18th, 2018
- Scientific coordinator of SELFY: Sexual and Emotional LiFe of Youths
- National scientific habilitation for Associate professor in Demography and Social Statistics
- Participation at European Population Conference, 6-9 June 2018, Brussels, Belgium. Presentation: The gender geography of intentional homicide
within and out of the family. Male and female murders in Europe, US and Canada (2003-2015). Together with Gianpiero Dalla-Zuanna (University of Padua)
- Participation at Online information quality workshop: Lorentz Center, 26 – 29 March 2018, Leiden, the Netherlands. Presentation: Online information quality: Social sciences, The case of intimate partner homicide in Italy
- Participation at the SPP1646 Colloquium in Florence. Programme here. Florence, May 23 – 24.
- Participation at the ISTAT conference: “La violenza sulle donne: i dati e gli strumenti per la conoscenza statistica.” (Violence against women: data and instruments for statistic knowledge): programme here. Rome, March, 28th.
- Glad to organize StaTalk, a one-day workshops on statistical topics, together with Valentina Tocchioni (Università di Firenze):programme here. Firenze, February 7th.
- Country expert for Germany in the EIGE project “Gender-related challenges in European education systems – EIGE/2016/OPER/08”, organized by IRS (Istituto per la Ricerca Sociale), Bologna: since October 2016